Monday, October 5, 2009

Comments on "The Art of Problem Posing"

I wasn't too sure exactly what types of questions we're supposed to post on to here. Whether it would be questions I had or questions I found intruiging within in the book. So while I wait to hear the answer to that I'm just going to post a few things that stood out to me:

1) I've known that Math isn't everyone's favourite subject but it's until reading this book that I realized it might be because of the objectivity of the answers. It was either right or wrong and I guess a lot of people would be scared off by that

2) That leads me to my next point of the book encouraging to break from the "right way" syndrome. That is to move away from merely looking for the right answers but look more for how problems are being answered.

3) It was interesting to see when the posted question of pythagorean triples appeared that all I thought of was answers for them and indeed we should enourage students from simply looking for the answers but to question it in different levels.

4) With the geometry problem, it was amazing how the book stated that sometimes learning a topic to whatever degree does sometimes narrow our understanding of something and how concentrated we are on finding the answers that sometimes it seems we have blinders on and are just looking straight at finding the answers.

5) I do question how as high school teachers we do try to change our students' way of looking at problems. Since all their life, they're looking for only the answer in order to get a good grade, how do we get them to ask more of the questions posed in the book.

6) At the same time there are some questions where it does seem to distract the students from moving forward. There are some questions that might confuse the student because it is far beyond what is being taught at their grade level. Though it is good to question it, the student might be stuck on finding the answer and prevent him/her from moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment