Monday, September 28, 2009

Personal Reflection for the Interviews

Since our interviews, I've been thinking about how I would like to run my class. Stemming from our discussion with one of the math teachers, the idea of being a guide to student-centered and group-centered learning has come to the forefront of my thoughts. Ideally I'd love to teach in this manner as the students learn concepts and discover new ideas through group discussions and deep thought. This would promote higher learning and a deeper understanding of each topic rather than just being told how to solve problems. But I've been struggling with this idea because of a few things. First of all is the fact that I've been so used to just being lectured and told what to do by the teacher, the other way is unfamiliar to me and not having had great experience with it makes me think twice about it. Also having heard the 2 teachers talk about how the pressure of provincials have made them move towards the lecture style way of teaching, makes me think that it is really difficult to do it. But having heard that one of the teachers is starting to try it and is seemingly having success with it gives me hope and hopefully my worries regarding this style of teaching will be eased by his success.

No comments:

Post a Comment